Wondering whether it is better for you to sleep with or without a pillow?
There seems to be contradictory claims circulating the internet whether sleeping with a pillow is better for your posture. You might have found some websites that claim sleeping without a pillow will lead to less back-, shoulder- and neck pain. On the other hand, there are plenty sources that report benefits from sleeping with a pillow. We’ve checked some scientific studies concerning sleeping with- or without a pillow to find out if they’re any good.
- There seems to be contradictory claims circulating the internet whether sleeping with a pillow is better for your posture
- Most studies conclude that it is better for good posture to sleep with a pillow
- Sleeping on your side without a pillow increases the risk of neck problems
- If you’re at risk for glaucoma you’d want to pay attention to this study. It showed that sleeping without a pillow increases intraocular pressure. This is the pressure of the fluid in your eyes and is especially important for patients at risk for glaucoma.
- In a different study, researchers studied the effect of three different sleeping positions on the spine. They measured three different heights: flat (0cm), 10cm and 20cm pillows. The results showed that the most suitable height for a pillow is 10 centimeters.
- Most people sleep on their sides and they should definitely use a pillow. Sleeping on your side without a pillow increases the risk of osteoarthritis in the neck. Your spine bends to the bed when you are sleeping on your side without a pillow. This causes the openings of the spine to pinch and bones to rub against each other. Friction in the spine is not good and this pressure can cause bones to erode and grow bone spurs. A pillow allows the head to be raised which straightens the spine.
- Most sources suggesting that sleeping without a pillow is better mainly talk about back sleepers. However, when you are standing, your spine also has a natural curve in it. A 10 centimeter pillow simulates this natural curve of your spine.
Most studies conclude that it is better for your posture to sleep with a pillow.
Most studies conclude that it is better for your posture to sleep with a pillow. But it’s important to note that using a pillow is mostly dependent on your preference. Some people use no pillow while others get their best night’s sleep with three. It’s important to find what works for you and take posture into consideration when looking for a pillow.
We’d like to leave you with some tips on getting the best out of you sleeping posture with a pillow:
- When sleeping on your side, place a pillow between your legs
- When sleeping on your back, place a pillow under your knees
- If you really want to sleep on your stomach, place a pillow under your hips and lower abdomen to improve your posture
Let us know on twitter or in the comments below if you sleep with a pillow and what you like the most about it!